PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - icing accident
Thread: icing accident
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2011, 19:43
Mad (Flt) Scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@asddsa: The FSF's Aviation Safety Network Database lists some 161 "Icing" related events so if you were so inclined you could scan through those to see if any met the rough description you have.

I tend to agree with lomapaseo that this is likely rumour, but with some grains of truth. OK, more than rumour! My apologies for my scepticism

One element is that a number of icing accidents on takeoff have occurred where crews have (incorrectly) assumed that 'loose snow' on the wings would blow off, only to find out far too late that there's a layer of ice under the snow which seriously degrades the wing performance. In those cases it's not been the efflux of another aircraft but rather their own takeoff roll that was assumed would do the blowing off.

A second is that the AAIB report into the Challenger 604 accident at Birmingham England included an investigation into the effect of APU exhaust on possibly melting some of the frost believed present on the wings. The report concludes that there may have been some effect of such melting, but my own opinion is that it probably had little impact on the accident itself.

Last edited by Mad (Flt) Scientist; 8th Aug 2011 at 19:44. Reason: new info in preceding post