PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2011, 23:24
SLFinAZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
takata,

I simply viewed this from the perspective of equivalent models. My perception is driven by my belief that modern airline design is systematically driving the aviator from aviation. I'm sure others will disagree but overall I feel that the overall quality of professional pilots is in serious decline.

I recognize that profound differences exist between the private (student, sport, recreation, PPL) and professional ratings (commercial up). However the world can be easily divided into two categories...those who have soloed and those who haven't. Overall safety specific to this are constant. There are very few accidents specific to student pilots....in fact I believe we have more accidents involving low time PPL holders who prematurely graduate to complex singles or fly in conditions for which they are not fully qualified (or both).

The harsh reality at the commercial level is that the continuing development of automated systems is financially driven. When you contemplate that the average pilot now spends more then 85% (closer to 95% in many cases) observing and often has only 300 hrs of total time prior to type rating on a commercial airliner a pilot with 3,000 total hours may have less then 200 hours of actual lifetime flying experience when you factor on the amount of automated flying involved in the initial 300 hours. The PF had roughly 2,900 hours total and much less in an A330. I bet he had less then 10 hours of actual hand flying experience in the A330 in the year prior to the accident.