PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2011, 21:25
Cpt. Underpants

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CXs' basings program is in complete disarray. Lack of company oversight and fiduciary responsibility has caused a multitude of legal violations which Cathay is reluctant to accept liability for.

In short, ALL new bases are suspended until further notice. This applies to temp bases as well.

Commuting should not even be on your options list. Here's why:

Cost. CX has the worlds' most expensive staff travel. Your salary will simply not allow you the discretionary spending that commuting demands.

Staff travel policies. It will take you up to a year to even qualify for some levels of staff travel. When you DO qualify, you're bottom of the list. When I say bottom, I mean EVERY spouse, child and dependent of everyone above your "date of joining" will be ahead of you. Your seniority might reflect 3,000 on the pilots list but in reality you'll be more like 50,000. Fact, not hyperbole.

Fatigue. Do not think for a minute that CX is not intent on extracting it's "pound of flesh". You will be tired. Thinking of sleeping on your way back? Forget about it. Economy class (that's what you'll be flying) is shockingly uncomfortable, with torturous seats and no legroom. You'll be on the middle seat too. Next to a mainland lady with marginal incontinence and body odor. And a complete lack of social awareness - shouting excited conversation to her family three rows back.

Jumpseats. Limited availability and snapped up like hotcakes. Most captains (myself included) hold off on jumpseat allocation until operating crew members have first option for companions, followed by known colleagues. Again, bottom of the list.

In short, you're in HKG for a while. If you can't get your head around that, reconsider.

Out.

Last edited by Cpt. Underpants; 7th Aug 2011 at 21:41.