PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BCFT (Bournemouth - merged 2011)
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2011, 19:01
corporate-pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zaid if you are about to spend upward of £40,000 on flight training you must must must factor in a few hundred quid to go and visit the school. It is almost beyond belief that someone would spend that sort of money without having ever visited the place.

One of the many skills required to become a good pilot is risk assessment. Committing to a course without having been to visit is a huge risk in my opinion.

Another skill required to become a good pilot is a methodical work ethic. So please don't rush into any decision. Gather all the info you can (coming on here is a good start), but don't rely solely on it.

One of the acronyms we use for problem solving is DODAR. Very useful in both the aircraft and the sim when things go "non standard". Diagnose, Options, Decide, Assign/Action, Review. The review process is the most important in the aircraft and I would also say in the case of choosing a flight school. I "reviewed" on completion of ground school at BCFT and decided to go elsewhere for the flight training, best thing I ever did. I must stress though, this was a purely personal decision, there was no "smoking gun" that made me go. Others have had a great experience there.