PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Facing a Medical Review Board
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2011, 18:39
olympus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Megawart

I'm not RAF (or even ex-RAF) but I had a similar diagnosis to yours whilst employed as a short-haul jet-airliner captain. I have to say that the CAA Medical Dept people were brilliant. After reporting the problem to them I was 'downgraded' to 'as or with a co-pilot' (although nothing ever appeared in my licence) until the problem was sorted.

I had a 24-hour ECG (two trips to Gatwick from Central London on consecutive days!) and then spent at least two months waiting for an appointment with the CAA's consultant cardiologist who was to read the printout and pronounce thereon; I continued to fly in the meantime.

You can imagine the state that I was in by the time I finally got to see Dr (Mr?) Chamberlain. In the event it was a non-event. Dr C dictated his report to Dr Tony Evans of the CAA Medical Dept in my presence and all was well. His advice to me was 'try not to worry about it'(!) and 'don't drink coffee prior to your medical renewals'. The licence restriction was lifted and I continued to fly until I retired.

At no time did I feel that the CAA's Medical Dept were doing anything other than trying to keep me flying; I'm sure the RAF's Review Board will be the same.

Good luck.