PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 7th Aug 2011, 18:13
leo79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the benefit of those attending an interview soon...

I did the QR interview last month and seeing as I gleaned a fair bit of info from the forum, thought I'd return the favour.
The Qatar interview process is just as advertised on the website, but everything takes place in one day.

Early morning at 8,you assemble for a briefing on everything good about QR,its ambitions and plans. After that, you have a 50 question tech quiz which is quite tricky in that you're not really sure whether you've passed or failed. I had questions on performance - damp rwy,climb segments, asda, tora, toda (definitions), met - deciphering the cloud base of a taf,wind direction on taf (true/magnetic), density alt, CB's, aerodynamics - effect of CG in cruise, dutch roll, swept wing, wake turbulence. Also had tcas, holding speed, emergency codes and low vis questions.
The test is an hour long. Studying JAR ATP and ACE should cover the lot.

You're told if you've passed to the next stage (interview) in about 20 mins, then given a time slot for that.
In the interview, I got personal questions, no tech but I can only speak for myself. Why did I become a pilot, what do I know about QR and Doha, why would I want to leave my present company, why QR, a time when I had a disagreement with a fellow crew member, a time when you broke company SOP's (tricky one that). Basically stuff we've been through online
but that might require some thought. I had a lady from HR and a gent (A330 capt), who made me feel relaxed and at ease. About 10 mins later you're told if you've made it through to the sim, for which the pick up is at 2230. Seeing as I'd finished at around 1400, that meant trying to get a nap in which was quite hard as at this point you're full of adrenaline!!

The sim was in an A330 which was the weirdest thing for a boeing dude like me Took off, climbing turns for u to get a feel for the sim then vectors back for an ILS to land. You repeat the procedure, with a non-normal thrown in the second time to spice things up.Use your company procedures the whole time.Whole detail takes about 35 mins.

We finished sim at 6 the next morning which meant I'd been awake for close on 24 hrs! Tough day but like I said you pretty much run through it on adrenaline. I just received an e-mail telling me that I've been successful. (4 weeks after assessment). I know QR may not be everyone's cup of tea,but I've done all the research I need and as they say to each one his own. My current situation is not that much better so please go easy on the negative criticism that I'm bound to attract shortly.
All I can say is that it's not an easy process. Preparing well and doing you're homework (i.e trawling through this thread) ought to spare you nasty surprises.

Good luck to all and happy landings.