PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA - lifestyle and work/life balance
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2011, 16:53
Arte Et Marte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The headline European salaries in eJ look good to your common or garden Ppruner because of the weakness of Sterling. These contracts were negotiated back in the good old days pre 2008 when the Euro was a lot lower against the Pound, and in order to get a fair comparison one needs to take into account the relevant country's cost of living AND what other airlines are paying in said country.

The easyJet Switzerland contract looks amazing because the Swiss Franc is continuing it's inexorable rise, and the income tax is so very low compared to the rest of Europe. If one looks at the historical of rate of Franc vs Pound, the EZS salary suddenly looks less appealing, although I'll be the first to admit we might get back to that rate for some time, if at all!

However the simple fact is that none of this has anything to do with the airline offering "great T & C's", it's purely incidental. Let's be honest, it's not as though the EZS management is some benign entity looking out for it's pilots is it?

And as for fixed pattern rosters, fairly sure it was still relatively unstable random rostering when I left 6 weeks ago

But I'm not trying to get into airline vs airline slating. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at EZY and EZS, I did a lot of interesting flying and in my view I earned my money; there's no denying it was hard work. Ultimately though it's all about what best fits an individual in terms of lifestyle and aspirations, there is no second to none golden chalice that everyone should aim for.

So far I've been pleased with the move, and having chatted with my fleet training manager it sounds like I've joined at a good time for seniority progression, although perhaps I'm going to lose my job when Seb Coe apparently bankrupts us all...?