PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2011, 16:32
ChristiaanJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3holelover
Airbus will also display that on the ECAM FLT CTL page. (but you all knew that, right?)... Is the suggestion for a separate screen always displaying this?
I don't know what JD-EE intended.
The 'Icovol' was hardly a primary flight instrument, but then of course Concorde may have been FBW, but it was not a glass cockpit, so a space for it was found on the central panel.

I've refrained from commenting on the autotrim issue, because the only autotrim I know was the Concorde one.... and that was a separate computer, and an electro-mechanical actuator, that moved the neutral point (in pitch) of the stick. And autotrim also moved the manual trim wheel, with the obvious 'ping', 'ping' of the bicycle bell.

As an ancient, I'm still somewhat astonished about the lack of "feedback" from the aircraft to the pilot, which seems to have disappeared slowly....

No 'stick force', other than a side-stick spring (crikey, even MS Flight Simulator and other games now come with force-feedback joysticks).

Concorde had FBW, so no direct force feedback from rods and cables either, but it had a quite sophisticated 'artificial feel' system and I've never heard complaints about it.

No 'throttle position feedback' - on Concorde the autothrottle computer controlled an autothrottle actuator, which moved ... yes, the throttle levers themselves.

No 'bicycle bell' on the pitch trim.

Concorde of course had André Turcat..... who stuck his nose into everything, including a lot of aspects of the "pilot-aircraft interface".
For those of you who read French, read his book "Essais et Batailles" (sadly it's never been translated).

I tend to think the FBW family (A320, etc.) never had the benefit of 'ancient' pilots like him.... but I may be wrong.