PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAK AIRWAYS info
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2011, 16:15
desertopsguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused model...

This ex Watniya had a J & premium Y interior config, it was very nicely done with light grey Recaro leather seats. I am assuming that RAK Airways have refit the interior to match their low cost ethos? If they haven't then they chose wrong when taking any ex Wataniya A320.

On closer examination RAK Airways seems to have little in common with the proven LCC model and on top of the mixed fleet of aircraft, a no-no when it comes to LCC operations, they also offer free meals, free parking, 30kgs free baggage allowance, free transportation between RAK and other Emirates...free free free free free

Uhhh hello, every heard of ancilliary revenues?? You know, the bit of extra money gleaned from baggage charges, inflight sales, on-board service etc that puts downward pressure on the operating costs of LCC's? What sort of people are running this thing now? It's a loaded question as the answer is most likely the same calibre who have always run it.

Without solid commercial people and revenue management professionals who understand how to revenue manage, this thing will continue to gobble up the Sheikh's money and that of those foolish enough to invest in it.

From what I'm told the commercial people there have nil experience in a successful airline, let alone a low cost one. Pakistani airlines don't make a dime and neither does Gulf Air so that's no pedigree worth talking about for anyone who has come from there.

It would be good to see it get off the ground so to speak, but it has been floundering for close to 6yrs now and of all the CEO's to date, only one or two of them had the acumen and qualifications to hold the role. A revolving CEO chair is a very bad sign and hints at several malaises; interference from the top (widely known), an unfeasable business model (goes without saying thus far) and unqualified individuals in key positions (below industry standard remuneration akin to cheap labour).

If you are gainfully employed elsewhere then I would think twice about leaving a relatively secure outfit for this one, best to give it some time and see where it goes.

It'll be interesting to see if 2011 will be the year of RAK Airways, I for one am not holding my breath.

D.O.G