PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2011, 10:58
AY1483

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with math and eyesight

If anyone is having issues with DFR with regards to maths grades or eyesight, I had to tackle those two issues a few years back and may be able to point you in the right direction.

When I went through I had to re-do Math B which I did via TAFE. This was after first having done a bridging course that I was told do to by DFR, who then subsequently denied it was valid...I'm sure I'm not the first or last to experience this.

Additionally one of my eyes was not 6/6, which means they take into account levels of astigmatism and I was out of limits. I ended up getting PRK laser surgery, however it was a 9 month battle with DFR convincing themselves it was not acceptable when in fact it was. That was 7 years ago and I still hear of people being told your can't get laser. You can, I have, and I'm in.

If you have specific issues within the bounds of these two areas feel free to PM me. I can also recommend Dr Stephen Holding, I did his two day aptitude preparation course in 2003 and found it really helpful.

Lastly, DFR seem to get a lot of people on the asthma bandwagon when they've never had asthma. I know of a few people who put down on their sheet that they'd had bronchitis and been subsequently rejected as an asthma risk. So don't give them something to look for as they will tend to find it whether it's there or not. Good luck.