PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single engine taxi out?
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2011, 10:06
Akrapovic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well done Sky Wave for taking the time to respond to some somewhat moronic assumptions.

We are paid to make decisions every day and single-engine taxi out, and judging when to start that engine as a balance between saving fuel and meeting warm-up criteria, is just one of those calls we are encouraged to make. The word being 'encouraged'. It's not compulsory, but I am a fan of it. I wasn't at first, but just like Sky Wave mentions, the more you do it, the more it becomes the norm.

I've never had to turn down a line-up clearance as a result of getting it wrong, nor caused anyone to go-around as I'm starting an engine up on the runway :roll eyes: - it just doesn't happen.

Many airlines do this, it is certainly not exclusive to easyJet. It's also worth remembering that the fuel you save taxiing on one engine, is fuel for YOU when you get airborne. Single engine taxi on arrival is for the company and keeps you in a job, single engine departure is for you and keeps you in the air . . . .thats how I see it, and therefore it makes sense to do it.