PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Welshpool - how good?
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2001, 20:56
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my PPL(A) at Welshpool, flew a bit from there, then moved to Sleap for a variety of reasons. I did my PPL(H) at Shobdon, another small airfield with cheap prices, then moved elsewhere. I did my CPL(H) at yet another airfield. (I'm not aiming for the record for number of home airfields, honest! ) I've talked to a lot of people and learned a lot, so here are a few thoughts:

1) For both PPLs I had newish instructors who were't that good, and it caused a lot of problems for me, some long term in terms of bad habits to unlearn etc. There is another way. Some schools, not necessarily expensive ones, monitor what's going on - the CFI flies regularly with the students of newer instructors to get a feeling for what's happening for instance. This is a good idea.

2) From what I've seen and heard ( and I admit some of this is rumour and hearsay) things vary at Welshpool and were worse some time ago. An instructor who left around 1997 told me of being forced to fly in bad wx etc. I heard rumours of the CAA being informed etc. Whether that was true or not, it didn't happen when I was there (mainly 1998), at least not to my knowledge.

3) The airfield owner would like to get Pool Aviation out, or wanted to less than a year ago at least. All local rumour, but apparently Pool won the court case, but there may still be appeals etc. Perhaps not wise to pay money upfront unless by credit card.

4) Welshpool doesn't have much in the way of club atmosphere compared to, say, Sleap. On the other hand, as it's geared to students on three-week courses, there is good availability of aircraft at weekends, and it's not too hard to book an aircraft for a whole day.

5) Other airfields in the area have a number of ex-Welshpool instructors and flyers, a fair few saying they love the place but not the present management. Does this mean anything? I have no idea, perhaps drop along to Sleap, sit around and chat, and decide for yourself. On the other hand, some people moved from Sleap to Welshpool - so that doesn't help a lot does it.

I'm on neither side, have no axe to grind, and don't even fly from any aifields in the area right now. I'm just trying to share what I know or have heard. If I think of anything else I'll add it.