PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX SO Interview Prep Notes
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2011, 00:25
ETOPS240

Utter drivel from DB, once again.

Sorry, nothing personal, I'm sure you mean well, but it would seem that you are so out of touch with reality of the aviation world outside of your bubble.

For comparison, I've a mate renting out an 800sqft place in Tung Chung for 11000. After haggling, that's about the going rate there. Is it further out from the centre? Yes, of course it is. Is it easy to get to the central? Yes, moreso than you'll find in pretty much any big city on Earth.

Expect to pay similar rates for the other modern 'expat-familiar' areas out of town - Gold Coast, Park Island, etc. There's a brand new development by the old Kai Tak site, where you'll be paying about 30% more than the above quoted price. Arguably, if you have a partner who works close-in, or plan on eating the cheap and cheerful delights of HK casual dining in Kowloon much of the time, the extra rent price will nigh-on cancel out travelling costs and more expensive casual dining in TC/GC.

Again, those (and myself included) of us who have had a Mid-Levels apartment funded by the company can genuinely out of touch with reality. It isn't normal for all but the wealthiest shareholding partners of law firms etc to live in a nice pad in the middle of London or New York. As working lawyers, accountants etc, we live further out. Once more, the reality is removed from some, because living in the centre of everything becomes the norm. Let's not lose sight of the fact that once upon a time in London, LA, New York, Paris etc, we'd have been delighted to have a 30 minute commute. Not least on a highly efficient, cheap, clean, safe and on-time rail network.

Don't expect anything other than 500ft in the decent parts of the Island for <17k. If you're single, you may be fine with that. For 12-ish, you'll get somewhere quite nice in the further out districts.

Just some food for thought.