PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA shutdown to cost US
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2011, 22:38
Ditchdigger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by con-pilot
Right then, okay, then the next time an airliner crashes, which I pray no more ever do, that you will be the first, up-front and center demanding that your God, President Obama, shuts down all airlines until the NTSB finalizes and publishes the accident report.
I'm not familiar enough with the particulars to know whether the drilling moratorium was the most appropriate action or not. I did question here (rhetorically), whether it made the President many friends, and I did speculate that it got the attention of big oil.

I'm sure we all hope no other airliner ever crashes, and I suspect we'd agree that if none do, it will be as a result of lessons learned the hard way, and the measures taken to correct the flaws that led to those hard lessons--measures which may have been accompanied by thier share of discomfort.

As far as grounding all airlines, I guess the closest we've ever come to that was on 9/11, although that was a horse of a different color.

Certainly though, there are numerous examples of certain fleets being grounded, in whole or in part, due to concerns that needed to be looked into. I guess most of them are flying again. Would you argue that in every case those actions were unreasonable and uncalled for?

That makes the same amount of sense as Obama shutting down all the drilling rigs in the Gulf.
Well, actually it was all deep-water rigs. so, the parallel with grounding some particular segements of the airline industry is there. And again, I'm not going to claim to know enough about drilling for oil or running an airline to say for certain whether any given action was the most appropriate.

...demanding that your God, President Obama,...
What unmitigated crap that line is!

I felt at the time that he was the lesser of two evils, and I still feel that way, although I thought he was going to prove himself to be more of a leader.

What I have a problem with there, is the playing of the if-you-don't-hate-him-as-much-as-I-hate-him-then-you-love-him card. It's BS, and I've encountered it enough to know that if somebody brings that attitude to the discussion, there's really no point in even bothering...

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer
I guess, you, Ditchdigger (how appropriate a handle, seeing as we continue to dig holes whilst in one) and leftist hero Paul Krugman can keep at it 'til we're broke worse than we already are.
You may not realize it, but not everybody you see with a shovel in his hand is intent on creating a deeper hole. Some are about the business of excavating the material needed to build a ramp to some higher goal. You just have to be farsighted enough to distinguish one objective from the other.

Last edited by Ditchdigger; 7th Aug 2011 at 00:00. Reason: added one word, for the sake of clarity