PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Forces unfit for purpose?
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2011, 19:41
dallas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wrote some time ago that the only event that will prompt an apolitical review of UK Defence will be a defeat of some sort or another, be it tactical like an outpost overrun or something more strategic like a Falklands level task force being defeated. I don't write that flippantly and I dread the time it happens. In the mean time Defence Secretaries will play word games, SO2s will do whatever it takes to get to the highest pension point they can in 16 years and the Defence sector will continue to exploit the MoD's naivety, lack of business acumen and politically-led opportunities to sell kit that could be bought off the shelf a lot cheaper.

Generals will get vociferous after leaving post, the odd serving conscience outburst will get headlines then sidelines and the core purpose of defence will continue to get watered down in the name of political expediency: gay pride ProjOs ahead of sufficient aircraft techs to keep the fleet in the sky.

I left nearly 3 years ago and am only suprised we have dodged some sort of disaster so far; but I think this is only down to a core of individuals who are gradually being ground down by increasingly personnel-focused cuts and reductions in quality of life.

America is about to neuter her military and in 20 years we will be in an interesting place, perhaps choosing between Indian or Chinese allies - both of whom will have the cash and military reach to secure the worlds' remaining resources.

If you don't know what to spend your resettlement on, how about a Mandarin or Hindi course?