PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IRAQ - VFR Clearences Issued in IMC?
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2011, 16:18
Gabilane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Chilli,

Where I operate normally, dark IS IMC (not over the city where you have a horizon), but 60 to 150 miles out with no horizon is most definitely IMC.

I can appreciate the confusion with the ATC controllers... I can't even get the pilot's to acknowledge that there rules (rules? what rules? we don't need no stinkin' rules...) and it doesn't help that the IAP says:

1.2.1.5 Coalition military aircraft and US TRANSCOM contracted aircraft flying on active legs in the Air Tasking Order (ATO) are exempt from ICAA requirements.

And the GP and AP's are no longer printed and distributed on paper, only by classified internet.

I did get another interesting response by PM from one of your contemporaries that suggests much of what you also write.

The bottom line for those of us out there in the airspace should be that we would like to be able to go home at the end of this rotation. I have offered my right seat to controllers to see the situation from our point of view, but no takers.

And why would the UAV operators even care? The worst thing that could happen to them is that they might fall out of their chair in the shelter where they are "flying" the UAV.

Again, I appreciate you addressing this issue. Regardless of what the macho pilots say, I know that they are all just as concerned with the poor coverage as I am.

Best Regards,

Gabilane