PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is aviation in Africa really unsafe?
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2011, 15:07
brisdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DRPAM007,

I thoroughly appreciate and applaud your efforts to endorse proper airmanship and good practice on the dark continent. Not to mention as well through ,albeit lighthearted, discussion.

However, the situation of our friend seems a bit unique in the sense of the type he was driving. I for one wouldn't want to be thinking about a short notice alt in a 747 classic over just about most continents let alone Africa.

Whether or not he was in a Classic though or a 152 the risk of mid airs in "controlled" airspace in "stable" countries are, at best, significant. With anything causing concern from another widebody, clapped out l-100 or a large depressed bird who found out his hatchings have different coloured feathers to him.

There have also been no incidences from what I have heard recently of any military threat to flights in the region, though not to say there is non (same could be applied to a few regions - who's to say the LRA haven't got a stinger or two?).

I'm completely unrelated to the flight but just my two cents. Well done to said pilot and DRPAM007.