PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strategic Bali link - Gone!
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2011, 13:21
shakta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know the news is 6 days old, but Gladstone is gone too.....

From the Gladstone Observer

Strategic pulls out of Gladstone

David Sparkes | 29th July 2011

Tags airport, strategic

Strategic Airlines.

Brenda Strong

STRATEGIC Airlines has announced it's withdrawal from the Gladstone to Brisbane route.

The Airline contacted The Observer today to announce its withdrawal, effective from August 12.

Strategic's group executive commercial Damien Vasta said the decision was a sad one for the airline. The decision appears to be the result of commercial difficulties experienced by Strategic since it arrived at Gladstone Airport in April.

"While this is a difficult change to make and is dissapointing for out team, it has been a straight-forward commercial decision due to aggressive competitor activity," Mr Vasta said.

Mr Vasta did not mention Strategic's only competitor on the route, Qantas, but his reference of "aggressive competitor activity" appears to be connected with Strategic's previous request that the ACCC investigate whether Qantas was engaged in anti competitive behaviour.

"Brisbane-Gladstone was a monopoly route with high air fare pricing levels. We entered the market as a price challenger promting lower fares for the people of Gladstone and we achieved what we set out to do," he said.

As it is no longer economically viable to continue this service, we will withdraw from the route for the foreseeable future and will continue to monitor conditions and opportunities."

"We would like to take this chance to thank the Gladstone Regional Council, GAPDL, Gladstone Airport, the community and businesses who have supported us."

Qantas declined to comment on the matter.

Hmmmmmm....

I am not so sure of expanding, maybe the opposite and a preamble for something else....

I hope we don't have another Compass or Sky Air World as this may take more passengers and staff with it......

Good Luck Busboy92, I hope for you and others this doesn't happen....