PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2011, 13:02
3holelover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi JD-EE,
Re: "Then the PF on AF447 was not a pilot?"

I think you missed the part where I said, "but since recent events have shown us such pilots do exist..."
Of course he was a pilot. Saying I can't imagine it isn't the same thing as saying it can't be.

I've said many times I think these poor folks were in a heck of an ugly situation. One might call it 'the perfect storm' to challenge his abilities... But he was a product of his training. Clearly, we're learning that many pilots don't know how their machine will behave when stalled. In my mind, that points to a serious deficiency in their training. I think it's akin to not knowing how the machine will behave with an engine out.

I suspect it's an inevitable result of the "cost effective risk management" biz... 'Creating a sim that can teach stall behaviour would cost too much and the aircraft are unlikely to stall anyway, so we won't bother.'

Which brings a question to mind... Somewhere I recall seeing a training aircraft (might have been a helicopter?) that had been designed with the ability to emulate the behaviour of multiple aircraft, depending how it was programmed.... Could such a system, in a small aircraft, be utilized to teach the stall behaviour of transport aircraft, I wonder?