PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New CEO for Skywest
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2002, 16:49
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stick Pusher

You should be congratulated for your loyalty to and defence of your employer.

Thank you for your kind offer of a photo to show my grandkids, should I be so lucky as to have some, but I have enough of them with me in the LHS of some pretty fancy gear, should I feel sufficiently compelled to stroke my ego in doing so.

Speaking as one who actually developed the commuter routes around West Oz turned over by MMA in the late sixties when they went to F27s, alongside my worthy competitor Denny Howe of what was then Civils, that are now serviced by Skywest. I'll spare you the story of how that came to be, but there is not much new that you, Meeke or Henderson for that matter can teach me.

Didn't stick my head up for the CEO job, not nearly clever enough, I was hiding in plain sight and no I wasn't busy consulting to the worlds airlines.
Could they afford me, probably, given the amounts punted around.
I rather thought Bob Mason would have been an excellent fit for experience and knowledge of the peculiarities in West Oz, but I guess he may have come to the same conclusion as I or if he did he knew too much.

Mr Ryan has a nonpareil business reputation but is a bit light on airline experience, the rest I'm sure are very enthusiastic and excited, but I fear the horse has already bolted as far as jet operations are concerned for the medium to long term.

The Government are playing the same game that Governments of both persuasions have played from time immemorial, in this State anyway.

As GT avers

On the upside it has some turbo prop routes that it may or may not keep a monolpy on. The appointments of Scott Henerson and Grantr Pittman are being viewed in a positive light in Government circles, which will help the airline retain that monoply position.
Yup it's great having a monopoly on routes that are barely viable with little or no growth possible. If it was otherwise, they would not need to provide the monopoly. It's really pretty simple stuff. Except there is a light but I'm not sure anyone has seen it.

GT again;
It has NJS/Qantaslink above it in capacity and capability and Skippers snapping at its heels with a lower cost operation.
Tell me that ain't true.

The miners and oil and gas people are the key to where the money is.

FIFO (guess who started that up, again helped by that worthy Denny) is their real problem leaching away the core traffic from their RPT routes.

Their new friends, the Government are also their enemies on this one.

In case they didn't notice, I gave them a BIG free kick in a recent Coroners hearing.
The Coroner as a result of a submission to and my evidence, recommended that ALL FIFO passengers should be transported in "transport category equipment" (big kids aircraft to you) to "airline standards".
Guess who owns the bulk of the mining and oil and gas RPT routes and "transport category" equipment servicing them.
Now I dont imagine they will send me a fat consulting fee, which would in any event be returned, because that was not my motivation, but I would be happy to field a call to explain what it means to them, I will however, not be holding my breath.

In regard to GT, I think he is perfectly capable of defending himself, if indeed this is necessary.
You say;
Constructive I hope, but just take a step back and have a good look.
Good advice indeed and that is exactly what GT does when he writes, you, and sometimes I, may not like or agree with what we read, but he has rarely got it wrong.

But if you've been around as long as he and I have then you have a real appreciation for the meaning of deja vu.

I think your post on the 11th sums it up and and says it all. I can't be bothered to shred that one to bits...
Cmon don't be lazy, lets hear about it.

Last edited by gaunty; 16th Oct 2002 at 16:59.