PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Border Security program and SYD International.
Old 5th Aug 2011, 22:10
DitchSwitch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the past six months I have noticed that inbound processing in SYD is getting worse during the morning peak.

DirectAnywhere is correct, I noticed just yesterday out of three possible exits on the older concourse (before getting to the “Noodle Police” screening point) only ONE exit was operating. The queue just to get to this exit was insane, it went from one end of the baggage claim hall to the other. Customs and AQIS opened up a side door next to the baggage services desks to process people who had been pre-cleared by an AQIS officer which helped alleviate the backlog.

Unless you are operating crew or have an Express Pass card for premium pax….expect a very long wait if you arrive after curfew to get through to the AQIS screening point.

As for crew, sometimes the Aircrew/Domestic/Diplomatic passport queue can actually take longer than the Foreign Passports queue during peak times, due to the number of foreign crew arriving trying to get processed. I was told by a customs officer that even when travelling on a General Declaration, Aussie based aircrew (holding a AU or NZ passport) can use the SmartGate kiosk, however every time I have gone to try this while operating it tells me that I am unable to be processed by the kiosk and must see a customs officer.

I’ve learnt when flying as a passenger re: Filming for Boarder Security…stay away from arrival times where VN arrive from SGN otherwise you could be in for a really long wait!