PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2011, 20:56
airtren

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lonewolf

I've expressed an idea, in a quick post ... and you're nit picking on that.
giving me the opportunity to muse on semantics....

I could say that I disagree with you, based on how you describe the "descent" as being caused by a "lack of lift".

I could say, a "descent" is caused by "a gradual diminishing of lift" not a "lack of lift".

"Lack of lift", means (to me) "absence of lift". and thus "fall".
You called it "drastic change in lift".... well, yeah,.... it is a change that results in "lack of lift"....

But we can also say that "fall", is a "descent", with the qualifier "at high or very high vertical speed".... . That's BEA's language?

So, we can say, that the "stall/lack of lift" is a subset of the larger set which is "change of lift", which includes the other subset, which is the normal "descent/gradual change of lift".

For that AoA, isn't that bottle of water that "xcitation" mentioned a genial idea????

Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50
I respectfully disagree, and mostly in how you phrased that.

Lack of lift typically results in descent.

What happens at stall is the dramatic change in lift generation due to the disruption of airflow at a critical angle of attack.
Before that, lift and drag are generated in a particular manner.
Beyond that, the manner in which the airflow interacts with the airfoil changes. (More turbulent flow, less laminar ... etc)

If you know your AoA, and your critical AoA, then you know how close you are to a change you'd rather avoid.

To measure lift, just what frame of reference are you going to use?

Last edited by airtren; 5th Aug 2011 at 22:51.