PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC - letting down
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2011, 15:27
LeeP-PA28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMC - letting down to none IAP airfield

Hi all

I've recently passed my IMC skills test but have not yet used it.

This question relates to flying VMC on top or flying in IMC near your aerodrome, where sufficient cloud base is available for a visual approach but where flying higher gets you into smoother air (let's say, you are flying at FL55 with few clouds at 1500ft, broken at 2000ft).

One thing I remember reading in my book about travelling to an aerodrome without an approach was you can either descend over the sea (if possible) til clear of cloud, track to a beacon if one is nearby and checked the MSA there or use an approach at a nearby airport (ie ILS or NDB) til visual then breakaway.

My instructor wouldn't commit to answer as to which was right or wrong, but mentioned that an approach only has 2 realistic outcomes: that being a landing or a go-around, by which you have a missed approach procedure and would usually climb back into IMC or on top again.

So - would an option be to request an instrument let down, or request an IFR approach with a touch and go and then proceed VFR to your enroute aerodrome?

What do you do?

Many thanks

Lee

Last edited by LeeP-PA28; 5th Aug 2011 at 16:18.