PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying helicopters in africa, anti malarials
Old 5th Aug 2011, 12:27
Flyting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
......never mind the mozzies......what out for the PROZZIES...

Prostitutes are rife in DAR and AIDS is rampant there.....so rubber up if you dare to touch anything....

As unstable load says...it's an on going debate...

I was always advised not to take anything as it would mask the symptoms, but instead, take a self test kit with and the anti-venom pills in case...
I got it in DRC while working there. We had a full time medic with us at all times, so no real worries.... Started showing the symptoms, spoke to him about it, he did a self test which turned up negative (I have now learned that a neg does not necessarily mean you don't have it...!) but because of the symptoms, he suggested taking the drugs and having a few days off.... After about 3 days resting up, sweating it out, I was A OK and back up for work...

So, my advice, don't waste your money on the pre-meds, get a self test kit, know the symptoms, and if they start showing, take the few days off and pop the good pills...

Get down to a travel clinic and speak to them about what drugs are best for Tanzania.....

Tanzania is a great country with lots of good people who are not as bribe orientated as their brothers on the west coast...