PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2011, 11:46
LandIT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Polish Version

IMO the Poles have done an amazingly thorough exhaustive job investigating their VIP Fight infrastructure. Such things as lack of pilots, lack of training, currency, equipment, procedures. An awful lot seems exposed. They also complained about lack of essential information from the Russian side, for their investigation, despite multiple repeated requests.

I believe the report concludes there are primarily a lot of Polish Air Force reasons for the crash, and some crew reasons as a result. The report does not hold back on these reasons and there are many recommendations. I imagine this has shocked the Polish establishment, leading to the sackings. One would not want to put VIP's at the ongoing risk that has been clearly exposed. One can say the VIP Wing shortcomings were the main reason for the crash, but...

IMO the report points to some major deficiencies in the Russian arrangements, begining with lack of cooperation in planning and early (or any) exchange of information for what was, after all, a Presidential visit. I get the feeling from the report that a visit from a Russian President to Poland would have imperitively involved a hundred times the planning and effort that Russia put into the Polish visit.

So to specifics. It is very clear the PAF wasn't provided with good or current information about the airfield, or ATC. Its very clear there were scant if any preparations made there in case anything went wrong. Its very clear the approach had obstacles not meeting regulations. Its very clear the crew were misled by ATC calling on slope when it was marginal or off. Its very clear in those conditions it was a tragedy waiting to happen. Its very clear the Russians are responsible for those aspects. One can argue whether it should have made a difference but in the conditions of the day, it probably made a lot of difference. Even to the percentage survivability. A very questionable rescue operation. A very questionable investigation. We shall never know how it could have been different, perhaps.

And so, many Poles fall on their swords, perhaps victims, perhaps with justification. What of the other side? Have any lessons been learned there too? There is huge value in the Polish report. I am impressed.