PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is aviation in Africa really unsafe?
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2011, 10:47
DRPAM007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Lamyna Flo,
Thanks for dropping in. Not meaning to disappoint you, but this thread seeks to answer the African safety question and explore possible causes and solutions to the problem.
Pprune is a great, reputable and light hearted site, but there's nothing light hearted about violations that have lead to fatal accidents in the past that have given aviation in Africa such a bad reputation

I have flown exclusively in Africa for over 12 years, charter and schedule, pax and cargo, DHC6 to B737.However, in the past 6 years, I fly into Africa about once a month So I am not oblivious of the challenges involved. I have flown extensively in the Sudan area, so i know that even little strips and outposts like Nyala and El-Fasher have met offices and towers where you can file a valid flight plan. I was trained as a pilot in Africa.

We have to end this misconception that Africa is a danger zone! It is how people (black, white, local, expats, low time or experienced) behave there that constitutes a danger to the place. when they cross N30, they become sane and obey the rules and become agents of safety again.

The above scenario will have ended it the following headlines:
"747 freighter and AN-24 mid air collision in the Sudan". And I guess we'll be having a different discussion by now.
Hypothetically: If the flight was a passenger charter carrying your family to Accra and back to Khartoum in a week. Having read BossyAussy's post, How would you feel knowing he's to scheduled to fly your family back to Khartoum in a week?
Breaking laws and getting away with it is a regrettable feature of those using this airspace and it has got to stop.
I'll like to see someone try this same hat-trick in UK airspace or the USA.

Last edited by DRPAM007; 16th Aug 2011 at 00:41.