PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Facing a Medical Review Board
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2011, 06:58
Megawart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Facing a Medical Review Board

Hi guys,

Well, after 25 years flying and 6,000 hours without a hitch, the dreaded ECG (Electro-Cardiagraph) has decided to attempt to halt the party!

Despite my having always been A1 G1 Z1 with absolutely no symptoms of any kind, the ECG reveals a 'sinus rhythm with sinus arrhthymia with occaisional premature ventricular complexes and fusion complexes. Otherwise normal'.

As I understand it, I have occaisional missed heart beats (and I thought that was all part and parcel of military flying!)

The SMO is content that it's within normal parameters, and indeed is unchanged from my previous ECG which was also asssessed as acceptable, but the powers that be recommended I underwent Echo cardiagraph, stress test and 24 hour heart monitor to be absolutely sure. After these tests, the reviewing Doc assessed me as 'Fit to fly'.

Fantastic, thinks I, I'm not about to die! However, apparently there is a 'new system' of medical assessment commencing 1st September and I have been downgraded pending a Medical Review Board.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but does anyone understand the new system, or has experienced my ECG problem, or faced a Medical Review Board in the past? Any info that would help me prepare for this would be gratefully appreciated.

The cruel irony of the situation is that I fly a 2 pilot aircraft with a paramedic onboard, the mission of which is to take a casualty to hospital as soon as possible. So I'm probably better of whilst flying than I am typing this now!

I can tell you, I'm more stressed as a result of this, than I ever am flying!

Sob story over. Feel fre to chip in with sarcastic, unsympathetic and generally unhelpful but witty comments.

Trash