PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ideas / suggestions for a twin
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2011, 05:27
The Green Goblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quote:
The PA31 on the other hand will be going down in these conditions. The PA31 was only ever required to achieve 1% climb gradient on one engine in ISA at MTOW. This is about 106 fpm at blue line with a feathered engine. Someone only has to fart on their seat and she will lose that rather quickly. Never mind thermals or incorrect technique or the temperature actually being greater than 15 degrees
Thankyou. The #2 engine merely is there for an uncontrolled crash at the landing site.

PLEASE to the OP consider a 208
There have been more PT6 failures however in the past 12 months that I know of, than TIO-540s. And let's face it, when one quits in the Van, you have no choice! At least in the PA31 it could quit at anytime during the flight. The second engine will give you driftdown options and extend the glide to a suitable landing destination. The C208 is going down regardless.

I lost a Pilot friend in a Mojave recently. While the second engine took him to his end, he did have drift down options until the only option was a crash.

At least through robust discussion after the incident I'm sure many piston twin drivers will now stay high if in the same position for as long as they can, rather than a standard descent profile to their suitable landing destination.

Food for thought?