PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IRAQ - VFR Clearences Issued in IMC?
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2011, 01:47
Gabilane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IRAQ - VFR Clearences Issued in IMC?

Maybe one of you knowledgeable gents can riddle me this... Recently we have obviously had a major change in Controllers in Iraq. Specifically, Ali Radar is now staffed by some international accents that provide some interesting results.

Specifically for me and my bretheren, lately after Takeoff, we have been given 'procede VFR to your operating area, Good bye'... What's this?

In Iraq at O'dark thirty 100-miles out no one has their lights on and we are being turned loose with a 'good bye'? (We should AT LEAST get a 'you be careful out there...')

Tonight (actually this morning at 0200) I was picked up by "Bagdad Approach" (again, what's this? It should be Ali Radar according to the IAP) at 65nm NW at 9,000 feet and told to procede VFR to Tallil. Oh, and there is a UAV at 5,000 feet over the field. Contact the tower at 10 miles...

I don't know about everyone else, but I am NOT liking this VFR stuff with UAV's in the area and no positive control. (When it is darker than the inside of a well diggers... THAT's IMC)

So... Chilli Monster or other local knowledgeable folks, am I wrong or just paranoid?

Gabilane