PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this a good path to become a pilot?
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2011, 21:54
Protoman2050

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Yeah, I guess I did misread it. Thanks for the correction. Stupid me, forgetting a decimal point and causing a massive deviation.

2. Thanks for pointing that out. When actually beginning my lessons, I of course will maintain situational awareness using everything available: my eyes, ears, and instruments. Also, I guess I forgot that when navigating to a VOR, you need the reciprocal of the radial, as VOR radials are numbered from the VOR. But wouldn't my heading be 281, since I'd need to fly the 101 radial to LAX's VOR? I would be quite horrible if I was so engrossed in radio-navigating that I end up into a near collision because I didn't see a 747 coming right for me. So yeah, avoid collisions first, then navigate.

3. The CDI is the needle on the HSI that picks up the VOR signal, and moves from right to left to indicate how many degrees you are off from the signal. Correct me if I'm wrong. And now I know that you use both aerilon and rudder to make turns, as if you use just the rudder, you might precipitate instability.

4. Yeah, that was a stupid question.

5. It'd do me very well to not get into the unsafe habit of prioritizing instruments over my eyes and ears. It's a good thing that students fly in no-frills Cessna 172s that don't have T- or PCAS, so I'll be forced to become an excellent lookout.

As I have already told you all, I do intend on taking a trial lesson, and if it turns out I truly enjoy it, I'll go on for my PPL, where all of my mis-information will be quickly beaten out of me by my CFI in ground and flight training.

I guess I used the wrong word here, "insist", I meant more like "It'd make me a little more comfortable in making sure we end up where we're supposed to if you could let me tune into LAX's VOR, just so I can check my visual navigation."

First thing will be learning how to take-off, fly, and land the airplane safely, then learning visual navigation, reading air charts, and VFR flight planning, and then IFR and radio-navigation. In that order.

I'll keep an open mind, and make sure I come off to my CFI as a student who is willing to learn.

I commend you all for giving me excellent advice. Thank you so much.