PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2011, 21:37
Rob21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The big question

So the question now (for AF & AB) is:
We should give more training to the pilots or "teach" the computers to get out of emergencies?

Computer's way of "thinking" is very simple: "if this, go to that" and so on.
Of course, to "teach" a computer to solve emergencies, like UAS, will take some effort (and money).

Then, when an emergency occurs, the computer shall warn the pilot what is going on and "ask" him if what he is doing is OK.
Computers can "read" the whole Flight Manual in a split second.
The computer opens the page on "Unreliable airspeed", and says: "I am holding 2.5º pitch and applying 85% N1. If you don't agree, please press the DO NOT button".

The problem is, if we "teach" computers to fly these very complex stuff, it's actions will become normal, like today's protection laws are normal. Pilots rely on these laws.
And then emergencies will be "managed" by computers, under the supevision of the pilot. Nice, but if in a dark and stormy night the computer faces an emergency that is not listed?

If flight computing goes in this direction, computer engineers will be thinking that a computer can think. And I am not sure if they are not already thinking that computers can think a "little"...
But they can't (at least to my knowledge).

Wouldn't be easier to allow pilots to hand-fly a little?
Wouldn't be easier to give pilots more SIM time?
Maybe if we change "easier" for "more economical", companies will be "smarter"...