PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimum ceiling for enginr failures IFR
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2011, 21:03
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I disagree with is if somebody has an illogical attitude e.g. won't fly above known fog but will fly above an overcast under which could be unknown patches of fog.
I totally agree with you that we all have different attitudes to risk. Some pilots will do things that others would not contemplate.

If you want NO risk in aviation do not climb into an aircraft full stop! from that point on its about how much risk you are prepared to take and how to minimise those levels of risk.

I dont understand your analysis highlighted above?

If I was flying a single prop over an overcast or through frontal weather I would want to know whether I was likely to break cloud enroute in the vent of an engine failure.

If flying over mountains in a glide would I hit terrain still IMC?

Over low ground would I be able to make a visual landing?

I would look at the weather over my planned track. I would check temps and dewpoints but above all I would take all the airfields enroute and get actuals and Tafs.

If as you say I descended through an overcast to see patchy fog then I would land in an area that didnt hold a patch of fog as simple as that.

If I descended through an overcast and there was extensive fog then I am the fool as no one to blame but me

Or for night and fog SE I would buy a nice Cirrus and pull the shute
Never ever do anything in aviation without an out at least the Cirrus gives you an out
I have in the past taken huge risks flying so I am not talking from a holier than thou position but I do try to balance those risks by having a number of options.
On the occasions that I have done something with no options left then I must admit to feeling **** scared till its over and thanked whoever your God is for sparing me.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 4th Aug 2011 at 22:13.