PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this a good path to become a pilot?
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2011, 20:12
AlexDeltaCharlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'' I'll probably insist on RNAV routes instead of visual navigation, because if we tune into the arriving airport's VOR from the departing airport, we can fly a straight line from KLGB SID to KLAX STAR, and not have the potential of getting lost because we can't see, e.g. the 405 Fwy or the Raytheon building.''

This is my point- concentrate on learning the visual navigation- there's a reason for it being in the course. I know it's tempting to show your enthusiasm by demonstrating your knowledge, but empathise. Your instructor may not take too kindly to a student pilot 'insisting' on using RNAV, especially on a lesson about VFR nav. I suspect that the first instructor I flew with found me rather arrogant for my 'been there, done that' responses, and personally I don't blame him. You'll no doubt get on better with an instructor if they see you as trying to be an enthusiastic student rather than trying to be a copilot.

I'm sorry if I've come across as hostile in this thread, but I can't help but feel that you're better off going into ab-initio flight training with an open mind and no need to 'insist' anything. Don't feel pressured to demonstrate your know-how, just go in with the right mindset, ask plenty of questions and your natural enthusiasm and aptitude will shine through soon enough.

Good luck and enjoy your flying!