PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - This happened - is it a big deal as far as ATC are concerned?
Old 4th Aug 2011, 19:56
niceday2700classic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mad_jock - it wasn't an airport with a colour in the name. If you really want to know where it was then PM me (I'd expect discretion) - I just don't think it is right to make it public when, as 2 sheds has pointed out, this is only one person's account and the next steps are yet to be decided.

I'm only really posting it on here to get some ATC opinions - basically because I don't know enough to fully evaluate the events myself. I am not posting on here to name and shame, nor for horror or entertainment value.

anotherthing - thanks for the clarity about the legality (or lack thereof) of landing over another aircraft. I wasn't aware that it wasn't permitted - I'm a student pilot. At the time when it lined up I said (on the intercom, not the radio) something to the effect of "crikey she's lining him up beneath us, ok..... well..... hope she doesn't clear him to go!" P1 didn't say anything. I thought it was fishy, but wasn't bold enough to speak up. Does it matter that the threshold was displaced, with the lined-up aircraft about 100-150m back from the numbers?

BrATCO - you asked questions about the go-around. We went around climbing at best-angle on the dead side. That meant we could keep the aircraft taking off in view all the way, and we were both above it and behind it when we turned crosswind back into the circuit. ATC didn't say anything at this point, and appeared to have totally forgotten about us. P1 advised controller that they'd just cleared another aircraft for takeoff after they'd cleared us to land. We were given further circuit instructions and asked to call tower upon landing. The controller would not have known P1 was an instructor - I'd done all the radio up until that point and it is not our home airfield.

I haven't yet had a chance to properly discuss the events with P1, and I won't get that chance until sometime next week at the earliest. It is my intention to ensure that the correct reporting procedures are followed (so we can all learn, not so someone gets a shoeing), but I would rather discuss with P1 first and do it with their cooperation rather than unilaterally.

Last edited by niceday2700classic; 4th Aug 2011 at 20:00. Reason: Typos