PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Misplaced optimism and the 'where should I train' syndrome ...
Old 16th Oct 2002, 09:01
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think there are very few pilots who percieve instructing in itself to be "low". However, it is very poorly paid, and this is why it's may be considered a lower step on the career ladder than other options.

I'd love to instruct - I think it would be great fun, and would improve my flying considerably. Realistically, there is only one way I can afford it, and that's to hope that the housing market in the south-east continues to inflate until I have a CPL and FI rating. Then, I can sell my flat in the south-east and use the equity in my flat to pay cash (or a very large deposit) for a similar place in a cheaper part of the country. This would reduce my mortgage payments to virtually zero, and enable me to live off the pennies which instructors earn. And it will only work if the property market continues to move in the way it has been for the past few years.

Does this sound like a gamble to you??? I'm about a year or so away from having to decide whether it's too much of a gamble for me.

FFF
------------