PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2011, 15:45
xcitation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JD-EE
xcitation, might a 10 degree nose down attitude give them a rather distinct impression they are in a dive, even after asking for full nose up? He asked for nose up. Nothing happened. He asked for more nose up. Nothing happened. He kept this up to hauling back on the stick all it would go. THEN the plane goes nose DOWN 10 degrees over a few seconds?

I suppose if he'd ever been properly trained about stalls in A330s he might have recognized "the real thing" and not a warning. Perhaps if he'd had a real AoA report to look at he might have recognized "the real deal" and not a mere warning.

The plane quit doing what he asked for. It went nose down, and stay there depressingly long, when he had full up on the elevator.
I think at that point they were in a total state of confusion which would challenge even the best Ace. I have slightly modified my view on the overspeed.
Consider the start when AP disconnect the PF made aggressive nose up. After only 4 secs stall warning comes on. He reduces his nose up a bit however continues his ascent to FL375. By that point he is in a nightmare having traded his velocity energy for altitude potential energy.

Why did PF nose up initially? It was accidental. No verbal announcement, no increase in thrust etc. At that it appears there is no reason for a climb. Only AP disconnect and speeds becoming invalid. No indication of overspeed or stall until 4 seconds into his aggressive zoom climb manouver.
If you look at PF verbal transcript he sounds IMHO like he is in shock. It takes him a long time to even acknowledge the climb despite PNF nagging him 3 times to get back down. IMHO he is not aware of his own stick input from the onset. IMHO he is in the medical terminology "altered" i.e. mentally impared perhaps due to shock. Epinephrine surge can do strange things to the body, cold sweat, tense muscle, max heart rate and max respiration, blood draws to core and you can look pale. If you have been in this state you know how it feels and it's not good. By contrast the PNF appears to be much more collected and even frustrated by PF lack of response.