PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2011, 14:32
airtren

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks again for posting the graphs.

If one plugs in the Stick and Thrust graphs as well, one will see that on the Pitch graph the Pitch Nose Down, and Stall Warning OFF/ON/OFF corresponds to either Thrust action - reduce Thurst - or Stick action ND, or both. Thrust and Stick variations after the A/THR disconnect are both PF/NPF actions.

This brings Pilot action (thrust and stick) into correlation with all 10 OFF/ON/OFF Stall Warnings that occurred bellow FL350.

Regarding the interpretation of "coincidence" rather "consequence", it may be suffice to wonder if it really makes a difference, as the result was the same, one way or another: an addition to the other factor(s) of confusion.

While the reasons of the limitations are understood, with a systems engineering hat on, a behavior similar to the Stall Warning, would be ennoying if one had it on his car, or computer, or TV, or some other appliance, etc.... and would want it fixed. And sadly, one certainly would not want to have a chance to have it at all, in a "Hospital Surgery Room" or an airplane cockpit, in a critical life or death situation. (sad)

Originally Posted by DozyWannabe
I'm trying to say that the stall warnings do not coincide with inputs, but with the attitude of the aircraft (which did not always correspond with inputs due to it's stalled state).

Really? To me it looks like (after the stall) the Stall Warning comes on as the nose begins to pitch back up, then switches off as the pitch-up causes the aircraft to assume an extreme AoA and slow down again. Then the nose comes down again, a little speed is picked up and the stall warning comes back on as the nose starts to come up.
Either way the path was not always under the control of the pilots, so my view is that while the stall warning logic is unsatisfactory in this extreme circumstance, I believe that if the stall warning did contradict or reinforce pilot behaviour, it was a coincidence rather than a consequence (note the nose going down several times while the PF's SS is back at the stops)

Last edited by airtren; 5th Aug 2011 at 16:03.