PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight test tips please
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2011, 13:09
sycamore

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Smile

W-w, if you need any clarification on any part of the FTS,then I suggest a call/email to the factory T-Ps,soonest. I would also hope that you are discussing it all with your `Captain`.I`ve never been in a G-E so have no idea of whether it`s `all-electronic,FBW,sidesticks` or whatever,so anything I`ve said should be taken in that context.
It may be useful to have a third pilot aboard,as an extra pair of eyes,ears,and as a `conductor/scribe` in that he can take notes,listen to r/t.run thru the next test-point,noting any warnings checking configurations etc,lookout,as it will allow the handling pilot more freedom ,without checklists/f-t schedules /paperwork to be floating around whilst you may be `heads-down`.
A couple of other maybe handy tips; A piece of coloured wool ,about a foot long ,taped in front of the centre windscreen,is a good `heads-up` instrument for yaw...I know 50cent instrumentation on a $40m jet !; if you have traditional wheel control,then set your ailerons at neutral,ie surfaces inline,then mark the wheels and columns in such a way that you have a `visual neutral` position for the ailerons (Tippex can be used ,or even
mascara or lipstick !). I always carry a mini tape-recorder,either taped to the mic. ,or the `phones `inside the helmet/headset,and stick the plug
in the `mic` socket.. I also carry a mini GPS data -logger( $50) from H-K),but I`m sure you`ve got all the fancy CVRs/FDR

Going back to the stalling,and I`m sure M-FS will concur,the starting position will be usually at about 1.3-4 Vs,in trim,idle power or as rqd, followered by a gentle deceleration aiming for ,ideally 1 kt/sec .speed reduction.Now this may take a couple of tries,and will be in a shallow descent,usually,not as student teaching,ie level flight,otherwise you will get an accelerated stall,and pushers/warnings can go off at the wrong speeds/incidence..Count it down clearly..
Personally, for stalling/spinning,I always use two hands on the stick ,as this minimises any lateral/aileron input( good reason for marking the neutral aileron position,as it is critical on swept wing a/c ),and don`t,don`t use aileron or rudder to `pick-up-a wing`,UNTIL you have lowered the nose positively,got rid of any `buffet`,irrespective of your attitude....and your airspeed is increasing.Power should be increased as required,but beware that as you pass thru` your original `trimmed speed` the a/c will want to pitch-up,again ,irrespective of your attitude. Remember ,coarse use of ailerons/rudder anywhere near the stall may well aggravate the situation.
Syc...going for a cuppa..