PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2011, 12:33
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RWA
...both the Flight Directors kept cutting out at intervals, so very probably they didn't have working artificial horizons either for long periods.
The Flight Director is a digital overlay on the ADI - non-presence of FD does *not* indicate that the AH component is not working.

Indeed, late on, the Captain told the PF to use the ISIS, the standby instruments - that's clear proof, to my mind, that they literally couldn't see 'which way was up' (or, very sadly, which way was DOWN) from the normal displays.
He says "Horizon - Standby Horizon", which could just as easily indicate that the two are in agreement and he is drawing their attention to that fact.

I believe that the spring-loaded, 'no feedback' sidestick was originally introduced purely as a weight-saving measure.
Not at all.

Monitoring what the other guy is actually doing is no problem with the traditional yoke or 'stick between the knees.'
Knocking the A/P out by bumping and getting foreign objects jammed in the traditional yoke or "stick between the knees" have caused accidents in the past too - it's not all one-sided.

Very much hope that Airbus review their whole 'design philosophy' about sticks etc. (especially the 'feedback' issue) as a result of this accident (plus others, like the Perpignan one). Might be a good idea to reconsider that decision, even if it does mean a few extra pounds of weight?
Of course, why not just throw away years of development and just make planes the Boeing way to satisfy a minority of pilots who can't deal with having the training wheels off? Yeesh...

@GerardC - that's fine but it's only one pilot's opinion. There are a fair number on this very forum who don't see the lack of backdrive as a problem because they have other methods that compensate for it. Also, as I've said more times than I care to recall, the A320 flight deck and controls layout didn't stop Sully!

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 4th Aug 2011 at 12:48.