PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this a good path to become a pilot?
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2011, 10:36
AlexDeltaCharlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Protoman,

You seem to have a lot of prior knowledge- my experience is that it's best to put it out of your head when you start training. I had my first trial lesson in 2007, and went into it convinced that I could pilot an A320, an illusion created by a lonely childhood spent on MS Flight Simulator! The result was that I approached the lesson as an opportunity to impress the instructor with my 'amazing knowledge', and ended up struggling to keep the aircraft straight and level. I could tell the instructor what an NDB was, but I couldn't select and hold an attitude!

Since then I've decided to approach flying with an open mind, and discard my patches of self-taught knowledge as most of it has turned out to be incorrect (I'm not saying that your knowledge is 'patchy 'or 'incorrect', mind). Don't just 'do what the instructor says' to get your licence, listen to them and learn. They're the one with the experience, remember.

Please don't take any of the above as being criticism- far from it! I'm only halfway through a PPL so I'm not exactly in a position to criticise anyway, but I would thoroughly recommend it as a way of gauging your interest in flying.

Best of luck from a fellow wannabe!