PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimum ceiling for enginr failures IFR
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2011, 10:32
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will leave the Russian Roulette debate now as it has been done to death, other than to say that based on your principles there would be no SE flight, other than a few trivial routes.

Its not so much a question of SE but different horses for different courses.
You would no sooner take off into known icing conditions in a PA28 than I hope you would not takeoff in a PA28 to fly over 200 nm of fog.
Pilots do these things! Pilots Ferry singles across the north Atlantic summer and winter! Knowing the sea I would not be comfortable doing that although I do ferry multi engine.

I know of a colleague who is a jet jockey like myself who came up through ferrying. He ran out of fuel ferrying over the north Atlantic (ferry tank transfer problem) Glided IMC breaking out at 500 feet above the only fishing boat in the north Atlantic.

He had to spend a week on board before the fishing boat returned to the mainland. What a lucky guy.

So all I am saying is that a single engine club aircraft is not designed for all weather flying. There are pilots who will use them for all weather flying and night flying but they are increasing their RISK dramatically by using aircraft that are not up to the job.

I have had 3 engine failures not caused by mismanagement. 2 were partial 1 was full so I am sorry but I do not have the confidence that some hold on Piston engines and would be wary of taking my aircraft and PAX into a situation where there are "no outs" if the only door closes on me.

Pace