PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2011, 10:21
takata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi vanHorck,
Originally Posted by vanHorck
Glad to notice from the English translation of BEA they concur with my explanation of the French, in that the correct translation of the CDB at 2:12:15 is:
There I don't know
There it is going down
As two distinct sentences, obviously pointing at two different instruments.
Congrats vanHorck! your French is better than mine and I noticed that as well (in fact the first thing I looked at!)
All the ambiguous sentences are translated the exact same way a non French native (but anglophone) would have interpreted them. Note also that ambiguousness is more than one meaning, not that any other interpretation is forcibly the bad one. The fact is that we don't know more than the original text but I still doubt seriously of several "interpretations" from the English report... Zut! They were speaking French, not English!

Hence, there is no evidence either that BEA members really cared about this work, after having already released the French text without meaningful punctuation or context helpers (moreover, they are covered by their note: French texte is reference)... they might have subcontracted this translation work.

For example: do you really think that a BEA member would not catch a few things:
- Sal-Amilcar in Heading Verde ... for Cape Verde (Cap Vert)

Or translate :
- the wings to flat horizon the standby horizon (what does it mean, seriously!?)
- no it won’t (not)... not not!
- No above all don’t extend (the) ... extend "the" what?
- er no we’re in computed ... but not in manual mode!

Would you usually call the rudder controls a rudder bar?, spoilers/speedbrakes, airbrakes?
Remember what I expected from this translation: not a single clue added but certainly more errors.