PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single engine taxi out?
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2011, 08:14
Sky Wave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CY333

Imagine going to the holding point and you got a failure on the engine you just started and your MEL considers it as a NO GO item.
So you go back to stand. What's the big deal? With 200 aircraft they are more than happy to take a hit once in a while when balancing it against the potential savings.

Theres a reason to follow SOPs.........
It is easyjet SOP to consider using single engine taxi out whenever appropriate.

Dan Dare

Some very negative comments.

By not being ready at the holding point they loose opportunities to get airborne sometimes costing them 10 minutes or more holding.
The majority of pilots are conservative when it comes to starting the second engine. I've used the procedure on many occasions and have never yet missed an opportunity to get airborne. I'm sure the people in orange land will happily accept the odd missed departure in return for the potential savings.

If they break while starting at the head of the queue then there is no end of trouble getting them out and keeping movements going.
Not sure what you're saying here. Develop a fault or apply the brakes?

At a busy airport the wasted runway movement may not be made up until the end of the day - in effect every flight from the airport for the rest of the day is delayed by one orange aircraft not being ready.
BMI and many other operators use this procedure all of the time. The same would apply to any airline, not just the orange ones.

When pilots try to blag it and accept line-up clearance anyway with the expectation of being ready when cleared take-off (you wouldn't believe it, but some honestly think this is acceptable) the ensuing missed approach is fairly likely to also be oragne these days.
That would be unforgivable. I've never known it to happen.

When taxiing in and a tight turn in the wrong direction is required the taxyway is blocked (delaying another orange aircraft) while they re-start the other engine to enabble the turn.
We'll if it's only orange aircraft they're delaying, who cares? As I said, it takes judgment.

It's not everyones cup of tea and some Captains simply won't do it, however as greenfreddie has already said, the more you do it the less of a drama it is.