PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2011, 05:44
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is three curves (one per probe) represented at the same time, each with a small time offset. Hence, if three values are NCD, it will paint most of the background due to the three spikes. When there is only a single value, in other graphs, it doesn't produce the same effect as the spikes will be spaced.
Takata,
Between the spikey areas of the AOA trace, there are brief interludes where there is a single smooth trace (apparently by all 3 probes). No spikes, and the AOA appears to briefly decrease slightly.

I'm interested in the usability of the AOA data in the system, and with weight off wheels it should be available full time. The 'system' appears to be applying a biasing signal to the data, bringing the signal to zero when the data is considered invalid, but leaving it at last value read when apparently valid. This has potential implications for future (and present) AOA installations on Airbus aircraft.

Essentially airspeed has been given authority to outvote AOA (which we already knew from the stall warning fiasco) but this is not a good situation for present and future AOA installations in Airbus aircraft. This I consider to be a fundamental engineering error, but one that can fixed, probably by better software.
I use the word error, because AOA and airspeed are both fundamental aircraft performance data, but independent of each other and derived independently. To then mix them together and prioritize them is simply bad logic.