PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA shutdown to cost US
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2011, 03:11
Ditchdigger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Errrrr.....I am led to believe the Union Vote issue is contained within a separate Bill which could be ignored while a procedural vote called "Unamimous Consent" to authorize a temporary passage of the FAA Bill would fully fund the FAA for up to Ninety Days. Both the Senate and House are still "In Session" so as to prevent any Recess Appointments by Obama.

The Union Leaders are trying to end a Seventy-Six practice of having a Secret Ballot for organizing a Union within a business or government agency. Thus far the workers wanting the Union had to win a two thirds majority of all votes possible. They now want to do away with the secret vote and go for a simple majority of votes cast.
If you can cite a source for that, I'll be happy to read it. Everything I've read, in the links above and elsewhere, leads me to believe that those provisions are attached to the reauthoization bill itself, that the House has already gone home for vacation, and that the issue with union voting is that the practice you describe above has already been overturned by the NMB, and the attached provision would bring it back.

The Democrats of course are all for that as a vast amount of Union Dues finds it way back to the Democratic Party in the form of campaign contributions.
And a vast amount of corporate money finds its way into Republican coffers. So what's your point?

Besides which, that makes the motivation for the Republican anti-union agenda all the more transparent, doesn't it?