PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2011, 01:22
SaturnV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The English version seems, on first reading, to be fairly good English.

Having learned my lesson of extrapolating from a David Learmont post from the Paris Air Show, I'll not revisit the cockpit door.

I will note however that the location of the captain's seat and the co-pilot's seat look to be about 30-35 meters apart on the ocean floor. The fourth seat was found about 10 meters from the captain's seat.

With respect to the belts, the English version says this:

1.12.4.2.1 3 The cockpit seats
On the left side seat the lap belts were attached, the crotch belts and the shoulder harnesses were not.

On the right side seat no belt was attached.
A question is whether there is a missing phrase: i.e., "On the left side seat the lap belts were attached [to the occupant],.." or is the more accurate interpretation that the belts were no longer with the seat?

If the latter, that throws into question the assumption that the first two bodies recovered by the Ile de Sein were those of the PF and PNF in their seats.

Also,
The signal corresponding to the “fasten seat belts” information was not heard on the recording.
The recording starts at 0009.

The upper elements of the fuselage are generally larger. They often had significant lengthwise folding.

Both wing boxes had multiple ripped openings. The left wing suffered more damage than the right wing. The central wing box, despite its rigidity, was broken up. The right half of the lower surface of the trimmable horizontal stabiliser, made of composite carbon fibre, had broken off on impact.
[a rear left fuselage panel containing eleven windows and around seven metres long was found approximately two kilometres south-west of the [main debris] area. Part of the lower surface of the trimmable horizontal stabiliser was also found slightly to the south-west of this area.] .....

The level of debris fragmentation and deformation indicated very high energy on contact with the surface of the water.

Last edited by SaturnV; 4th Aug 2011 at 01:35.