PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight test tips please
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2011, 00:04
Mad (Flt) Scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by welliewanger
Stalling is another matter. The potential problems I foresee are:

- Deep stall. Solution, recover promptly. Prevention is better than cure!

- Wing drop. Solution, rudder AS REQUIRED. Normal unusual attitude recovery techniques.

- Spin. Do 30 meter aircraft really spin? I would imagine that it would all happen so slowly that you'd only ever get as far as the incipient stage and just centre the controls to recover.

Of course, all of these could take significant altitude. What have I missed?
The correct solution for "deep stall" is indeed not to get there. if you do - and it would take an effort - then you are not getting out without help from above. Its not just "recover promptly" though. Its knock-off criteria. Awareness of when the pusher should fire and readiness to jump in if it doesn't.

Wing drop. if the wing drops in the stall, and you're slats IN, something very nasty may be about to happen. Rudder isn't the cure - get the alpha down, immediately. (That's basically the cure for all stall problems, simplistically). If the wing drops a bit during the slats out stalls, well, a bit of roll activity is possible - the wing has stalled, after all. But anything abrupt is the cue to get out of there.

Also, for the slats out configs, don't dawdle in the shaker to pusher region. You don't want a high entry rate - but the target is 1 kt/sec. Going in slow exposes you to the high AOA environment for longer. Who knows what might happen to ruin your day if you stay in a part of the flight envelope that's usually a no-go zone.

Spin. Haven't seen one do that, but highly swept aircraft can do funny things at high combinations of AOA and sideslip - if you let the yaw build up you're asking for one wing to stall first, and while it might not be classic spin, some degree of autorotation is possible, once one wing lets go.

@ Sycamore. According to WW's profile, it's almost certainly a Global Express. The above comments are predicated on that assumption.