PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 23:23
3holelover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bearfoil,
With respect,
Originally Posted by Bear
Are you Pilot? High altitude, cruising, 500knots TAS. AP quits, must hand fly. Too much hand, a climb, a big climb. After Topping out, immediately see huge loss of altitude, and noise like you would not believe. Having heard one "bogus" fart from 447, I have huge airstream din, huge and continuing LOA, and I say "I think we have crazy speed!" They've seen UAS, so he isn't saying "Duff speed" he is saying "Way Fast".
The man with his hand on the stick [PF] should have realized early on that, if that were the case, the aircraft would respond MUCH differently to his inputs. I seriously doubt that many pilots I've ever known could mistake the one for the other [stall - overspeed] after even a moment at the stick, even while blind.

Also, there were not 3 pilots mistaking that for most of their fall... only the one. At best the PNF had a few moments to explore it himself, but not the Capt.

In an earlier post you alluded to people calling them morons... I haven't heard that from anyone yet, have you? I doubt even the most myopic among us would deny that at worst, they were at the mercy of their training, SOP's and a damned difficult situation.