PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 22:37
JD-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dozy "@JD-EE - I'm pretty sure that "Assiette" can refer to pitch or trim, but in this case I think it means pitch. If it is a valid trace then yes, the nose fell down, but I suspect not in a controlled manner. In any case, the THS position, along with that of the elevators meant that as soon as the nose was down it would immediately come back up due to aerodynamic forces."

Good, we're that far. Notice the correlation between the PF's nose up and the nose down the aircraft executed. What would that do to the PF's mind?

As a side not I vaguely remember some discussion back in 2009 about the aircraft's behavior if airspeed really does decrease well below stall. It might even have been in the context of place the plane in the air at zero airspeed. The conclusion was that the swept back wings would make the nose go down. The data presented from the FDR seems to indicate this is exactly what the plane did. ("Good plane", as she pats it on its metaphorical head.)

Could the pilot have had a problem admitting the plane was stalled even with the nose pitched down 10 degrees? It is very clear to me that the pilots were both pretty much mentally rejecting that #$)**#@_) stall warning. (Imagining irritated profanity in their thoughts.)

edit
(Is incidence emis par... the AoA? It looks like it. That would have been a GIANT clue.)