PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 21:56
Lonewolf_50

Received 433 Likes on 273 Posts
bear, as a friend: please go back to the alleged mathematical operation you presented to us, and your choice of numerator and denominator, and consider how you derived those data points. Compare that sourcing to the FDR which BEA roots its estimates and data from.

Then consider the the FDR analysis came up with a RoD between 10,000 and 11,000 FPM (I suspect it varied early on, and stabilized (per Grity and henra's posts a few threads ago) as the bird descended into denser air and friction came into play, and an approach to terminal velocity. I am within 10% in that error band. I suppose I could go and find the 10,098 or 10,988, or whichever figure is cited as ultimate RoD, and please my pedantic little old self. No drama. henra I thin it was pointed out that the RoD would vary based upon air density, a couple of threads ago.

To arbitrarily add a 40% bonus for dramatic effect on dubious arithmetic grounds doesn't help in understanding.

So, my tone might have been edgy, but I know you've been around long enough to know how number manipulation works. (Heh, you have even complained about such things in various threads ... )